ISA May 2020 Highlights
- Acting as co-chair of the IT Sector Coordinating Council Pandemic Recovery Working group, established in partnership with DHS, ISA proposed several revisions adding cyber security provisions to the government’s Cross-Sector Pandemic Recovery Working Group Charter — cyber was not in the original USG draft). These included promoting cybersecurity hygiene to adapt to teleworking, creating incentives to promote security practices, and establishing stronger governance and management practices (using tools such as the NACD principles).
- Recommendations from ISA Board in the 30/60/90 day priorities for CISA’s pandemic response have been included in DHS’ Return to Work guidance. These recommendations include implementing multi-factor authentication, ensuring continuity of operations are up to date, increase awareness of IT support mechanisms for remote employees, implementing VPNs and enhancing system monitoring to detect abnormal activity early.
- ISA and World Economic Forum (WEF) conduct first joint meeting of ISA board members and WEF cybersecurity meeting. At ISA’s suggestion NACD President Peter Gleason provides opening remarks emphasizing the ISA-NACD partnership as a model ISA, NACD and WEF ought to consider following. Meeting then turns to developing methods to take the Principles for board level cyber risk oversight established by ISA and NACD and integrating them with WEF Principles. Group then proceeds to discuss methods for empirically testing these combined principles for effectiveness. Future meetings are scheduled for June 9 and June 24.
- ISA and Association of Governing Boards (AGB) agree on memo of understanding wherein ISA commits to assist AGB in developing a Cyber Risk Handbook for colleges and universities. AGB pledges to support ISA’s development and promotion of a “text book” on cyber risk management designed for college and university classrooms.
- ISA President Larry Clinton is Featured Speaker at EY’s annual cybersecurity leadership conference.
- ISA President Larry Clinton is featured in podcast on cybersecurity and Corporate Directors sponsored by Diligent.
- ISA Submits article on cybersecurity as requested by Insights magazine.